M.A. in Political Science for Social Studies K-12 Educators
Apply here now!
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until July 15.
The Political Science Department at Georgia State University offers an M.A. concentration in Political Science for Educators which can be completed fully online, fully in-person, or with a mix of the two.
- Degree can be completed during six seven-week minimesters, extending just 15 months with the majority of the work in the summers.
- Exposes K-12 educators to cutting-edge research in political science.
- Provides educators with the tools to engage their students in evidence-based conversations about democracy, citizenship and public policy.
- All courses are taught by full-time faculty and emphasize interaction among students and professors.
- The GRE will be waived for applicants with a bachelor’s degree in political science or a related field, from an accredited university, and with an overall GPA of at least 3.5. The LSAT and GMAT can also be substituted for the GRE.
- Low in-state tuition rates apply, and several funding assistance options are available on a competitive basis for both in-state and out-of-state students.
- The program has a close relationship with the Georgia Municipal Association, which provides extensive opportunities for our students to lead consulting projects with Georgia city governments in return for academic credit.
This program is geared towards current teachers who want to advance in their profession rather than to pursue a doctorate. Also, it may be of interest to students contemplating a career in teaching or to current or former teachers seeking the qualifications to adjunct at the university level.
Taking the Next Steps
After completing the degree, current Georgia teachers working in districts using the traditional pay scale may be eligible to upgrade their certification status and receive a raise (see the Georgia Professional Standards Commission for more details). The degree also may help lead to an Advanced Professional Certificate. Teachers from other states also may be eligible for an upgrade after completing the degree and should check the professional standards in your home state.
Email Dr. Hankla at email@example.com if you have questions or would like additional information about the program.
Details about the program can be found here.