FACULTY-STUDENT CO-AUTHORED PUBLICATIONS
- Bonnette-Bailey, Lakeyta M. and Lestina Dongo. (Forthcoming). “Hood Politics: Hip-Hop and Its Political Voice,” in Oxford Handbook of Protest Music, eds. Noriko Manabe and Eric Drott, Oxford University Press.
- Bonnette-Bailey, Lakeyta M., Lestina Dongo and Michael Westberg. 2022. “This is America: Hip-Hop and the Black Lives Matter Movement,” in For the Culture: Hip-Hop and the Fight for Social Justice, eds. Lakeyta Bonnette-Bailey and Adolphus G. Belk, Jr. University of Michigan Press.
- Tuncel, O., & Manning, C. (2022). Building democracy after war? Post-rebel electoral parties and the construction of stable party systems. Party Politics, 0(0). https://doi.org/10.1177/13540688221124877
- Buntain, C., Deal Barlow, M., Bloom, M., & A. Johns, M. (2022). Paved with Bad Intentions: QAnon’s Save the Children Campaign. Journal of Online Trust and Safety, 1(2). https://doi.org/10.54501/jots.v1i2.51
- Bolsen, Toby, Risa Palm, & Justin T. Kingsland. 2022. “How Negative Frames Can Undermine Public Support for Studying Solar Geoengineering in the U.S.” Frontiers in Environmental Science, 554: 1-11. https://doi.org/10.3389/fenvs.2022.850514
- Bolsen, Toby, Risa Palm, and Justin T. Kingsland. 2022. “Effects of Conspiracy Rhetoric on Views About the Consequences of Climate Change and Support for Direct Carbon Capture.” Environmental Communication 16(2): 209–224.
- Brown, Christopher L., Jeannie Grussendorf, Michael D. Shea, and Clark DeMas, “Changing the Paradigm? Creating an Adaptive Course to Improve Student Engagement and Outcomes in Introductory Political Science Classes,” Journal of Political Science Education, 2022.
- Montgomery, Matthew D., Michael P. Fix, and Justin T. Kingsland. 2021. "Rigid Rules and Slippery Standards: How the Nature of U.S. Supreme Court Precedents Influences Subsequent State Court Treatments." Social Science Quarterly 102(6): 2894-2906.
- Palm, Risa, Toby Bolsen, and Justin T. Kingsland. 2021. “The Effect of Frames on COVID-19 Vaccine Resistance.” Frontiers of Political Science 3: 1-41.
- Fix, Michael P. and Bailey R. Fairbanks. 2020. "The Effect of Opinion Readability on the Impact of U.S. Supreme Court Precedents in State High Courts." Social Science Quarterly. 101(2): 811-824.
- Bolsen, Toby, Risa Palm, and Justin T. Kingsland. 2020. “Framing the Origins of Covid-19.” Science Communication 42(5): 562–585.
- LaPlant, Kristina, Bailey Fairbanks and Toby Bolsen. 2020. “Locked in a Box: How Activist Art Affects Opinions About Solitary Confinement.” New Political Science Journal 42(3): 289–312. https://doi.org/10.1080/07393148.2020.1814672
- Palm, Risa, Toby Bolsen, and Justin T. Kingsland. 2020. “‘Don’t Tell Me What to Do’: Resistance to Climate Change Messages that Suggest Behavior Change.” Weather, Climate & Society 12(4): 827–835.
- Bolsen, Toby, Risa Palm, and Justin T. Kingsland. 2019. “The Impact of Message Source on the Effectiveness of Communications about Climate Change.”
Science Communication 41(4): 467–487.
- Bolsen, Toby, Risa Palm, and Justin T. Kingsland. 2019. “Counteracting Climate
Science Politicization with Effective Frames and Imagery.” Science Communication 41(2): 147–170.
- Bolsen, Toby, Bailey Fairbanks, Eduardo Aviles, Justin T. Kingsland, Kristina LaPlant, Reagan Griggs-Pritchett, Matt Montgomery, and Natalie Rogol. 2019. “Merging Undergraduate Teaching, Graduate Training, and Producing Research: Lessons from Three Collaborative Experiments.” PS: Political Science & Politics 52(1): 117–122. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049096518000914
- Bolsen, Toby, Justin Kingsland, and Risa Palm. 2018. “The Impact of Frames Highlighting Coastal Flooding in the U.S.A. on Climate Change Beliefs.”
Climatic Change 147(1–2): 359–368. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10584-018-2143-0
- Shapiro, Matt, Toby Bolsen, and Anna Fleming. 2018. “Communicating about Clean Energy and Efficiency Policies.” Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Climate Science. DOI:10.1093/acrefore/9780190228620.013.435 https://oxfordre.com/climatescience/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190228620.001.0001/acrefore-9780190228620-e-435
- Grussendorf, J.; Rogol, N. (2018). Reflections on critical thinking: Lessons from a quasi-experimental study. Journal of Political Science Education. 14(2): 151-166. (http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/iB6qXnfEbGm4xtxqk9QZ/full)
- Fix, Michael P., Justin T. Kingsland, and Matthew D. Montgomery. 2017. "The Complexities of State Court Compliance with U.S. Supreme Court Precedent." Justice System Journal. 38(2): 149-163.
- Bolsen, Toby, Michael Evans, and Anna Fleming. 2016. “Comparing the Effectiveness of Online and Face-to-Face Approaches to Teaching Introduction to American Government.” Journal of Political Science Education 12(3): 302–317. https://doi.org/10.1080/15512169.2015.1090905
- Bolsen, Toby, Mike Evans, and Anna McCaghren Fleming. 2016. “A Comparison of Online and Face-to-Face Approaches to Teaching Introduction to American Government.” Journal of Political Science Education.
- Gershon, Sarah Allen, Adrian D. Pantoja, and J. Benjamin Taylor. Forthcoming. “God in the Barrio? The Determinants of Secularism among Latinos in the United States” Politics and Religion.
- Richey, Sean, and Junyan Zhu. 2015. “New Internet Access Does Not Improve Political Interest, Efficacy or Knowledge.” Political Communication.
- Howard, Robert, and Shenita Brazelton. 2014. “Specialization in Judicial Decision Making: Comparing Bankruptcy Panels and Federal District Court Judges.” American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review 22 (2): 407-429.
- Taylor, J. Benjamin, Sarah Allen Gershon, and Adrian D. Pantoja. 2014. “Christian America? Understanding the Link between Church and Attitudes among Latino Immigrants” Politics & Religion 7 (2):339-365.
- Hankla, Charles R., and Daniel Kuthy. 2013. “Economic Liberalism in Illiberal Regimes: Authoritarian Variation and the Political Economy of Trade.” International Studies Quarterly 57 (3): 492-504.
- Franklin, Daniel, Sean Richey, and Ryan Yonk. 2013. “Battlegrounds and Budgets: State-level Evidence of Budget Manipulation in Competitive Presidential Election States.” State and Local Government Review 45 (2): 108-115.
- Ikeda, Ken’ichi, Sean Richey, and Holly Teresi. 2013. “Browsing Alone: The Differential Impact of Internet Platforms on Political Participation.” Japanese Journal of Political Science 14 (3): 305-319.
- Richey, Sean, and Ben Taylor. 2012. “Who Advocates? Determinants of Political Advocacy in Presidential Election Years.” Political Communication 29 (4): 414-427.
- Lazarus, Jeffrey, Kyle Barbieri, and Jeffrey Glas. 2012 “Earmarks Elections to the U.S. House of Representatives.” Congress and the Presidency 39: 254-269.
- Howard, Robert, and Cole Taratoot. 2011. “Accountability and Independence: Administrative Law Judges and NLRB Rulings” American Politics Research 39 (5): 832-858.
- Lazarus, Jeffrey, Amy McKay, and Lindsey Herbel. Forthcoming. “Who Walks Through the Revolving Door? Examining the Lobbying Activity of Former Members of Congress.” Interest Groups & Advocacy.
- Howard, Robert, Jeffrey Lazarus, and Jeff Glas. 2015. “The Unintended Consequences of Congressional Action: Judicial Conviction Rates After Congressional Sentencing Reform.” Justice System Journal 36: 304-322.
- Lazarus, Jeffrey, Kyle Barbieri, and Jeff Glas. 2012. “Earmarks and Elections to the US House of Representatives.” Congress and the Presidency 39: 254-269.
- Jackson, Christopher M. 2021. “Ethnic Protection Rackets: Turkish Cypriot Statebuilding before 1974.” Civil Wars 23 (4): 520–44.
- Jackson, Christopher M. 2021. “Bandits, Bondsmen, and Leviathans: Ethnic Groups Contesting Local Security After Conflict In the Western Balkans.” Journal of Regional Security 16 (2): 215–48.
- Jackson, Christopher M. 2021. “Linking to the State: Hierarchical Statebuilding After Conflict in the Western Balkans.” Ethnopolitics 20 (3): 341–61.
- Jackson, Christopher M. 2020. “The EU and Rule of Law Development in Kosovo: EULEX, Domestic Spoilers, and a Two-Level Commitment Problem.” Journal of European Integration 42 (7): 955–73.
- Rashdan, Abdelrahman. 2017. The Future of US Hegemony in the Middle East: US–Israel–China Military Technology Development and Acquisition. In S. Romaniuk and F. Grice (Ed.), The Future of US Warfare. Oxon, UK: Routledge.
- Rashdan, Abdelrahman. 2015. The Social Media OSINT Challenge to US Intelligence: Culture Not Gigabytes. In B. Hawks (Ed.), New Media Politics: Rethinking Activism and National Security in Cyberspace (pp. 155-172). Tyne and Wear, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.