Our 29 full-time faculty members cover every region of the globe and every subfield in political science.
Atlanta is our campus. Georgia State is in the heart of downtown, a short walk from Martin Luther King’s birthplace and memorial, the state capitol, federal, state and local courts, CNN and Atlanta’s pro sports venues.
Major multinational corporations call Atlanta home. Coca-Cola, Georgia-Pacific, Home Depot, UPS, Turner Broadcasting and many other prominent firms are headquartered here. International consulates and cultural centers from dozens of countries are located in Atlanta.
Many students intern with the state legislature, political campaigns, district attorney and prosecutor’s offices, consulates, chambers of commerce, lobbying groups, advocacy groups and other dynamic organizations.
Welcome to the Department of Political Science at Georgia State. Our faculty and students examine the most pressing and enduring puzzles of politics and policy at the local, national and global levels. With research expertise and a passion for teaching in all of the major fields of the discipline – American Government, Comparative Politics, International Relations, Political Theory – the Department offers innovative and comprehensive programs leading to the B.A., M.A. and Ph.D. degrees.
Our strategic mission is to prepare students to be critical thinkers, creative problem solvers, and responsible citizens. Our programs emphasize classroom instruction and distinctive opportunities to observe and participate in the political process. Our faculty are recognized nationally and internationally as experts in their fields of research.
Located in the heart of Atlanta, just blocks away from the center of government for the Southeast and the State of Georgia and benefiting from the business, communication and transportation advantages of a major international city, Georgia State is the place to study politics and advance knowledge in the 21st century.
Dr. Michael Herb, Chair
Department of Political Science
The vision of Georgia State’s Political Science Department is to:
- Investigate the most crucial questions in politics and society.
- Engage and inspire students.
- Foster global understanding and civic participation.
- Strengthen a culture of respect, inclusion and collaboration.
The mission of Georgia State's Political Science Department is to:
- Advance knowledge through research, teaching and public outreach.
- Promote diverse research agendas and support research excellence.
- Create inclusive, respectful, challenging and collaborative learning environments.
- Foster engaged citizenship.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Engaging in and disseminating high-quality research.
- Encouraging faculty and student collaboration.
- Providing inclusive and excellent educational opportunities to students of diverse backgrounds.
- Preparing students to contribute to their communities as engaged citizens, leaders and scholars.
- Educating students so that they are highly qualified for their chosen careers.
|We value||This means that we (faculty, staff & students)|
|Curiosity & the Pursuit of Knowledge||Encourage critical thinking by raising, exploring, engaging and challenging new ideas and new ways of thinking.|
|Diversity, Equity, Accessibility and Inclusion||Invite, recognize and engage people of all backgrounds and identities, including but not limited to races, ages, ethnicities, nationalities, religious beliefs, genders, sexual orientations and abilities.|
|Empathy & Mentorship||Enable friendly, cooperative and supportive environments that facilitate interaction with and among students, colleagues, staff and faculty.|
|Fairness||Are open, impartial and transparent in evaluation and communication.|
|Honesty & Integrity||Are truthful in our behavior, interactions, relationships and scholarly work.|
|Respect||Affirm the inherent worth and dignity of human beings.|
|Research Pluralism||Support diverse scholarship, including subjects and methodologies.|