Monique Deal Barlow

Ph.D. Student

Office: 1048 Langdale Hall
Email: cdealbarlow1@student.gsu.edu
Hometown: Atlanta, GA
Download CV

Subfields

American Politics
Comparative Politics

Research Areas

My areas of interest are the politics of identity, intersectionality of religion and politics, and civil rights for marginalized populations. Currently, I am researching the impact biblical literalism has on women’s political participation. I would argue that biblical literalism is associated with lower levels of gender consciousness and these reductions in religious and gender identities account for lower political participation among women. The findings might provide insight into the ways identities intersect with political mobilization among women and how these influence political behavior. The findings might also have implications for those in the conservative party who wish to increase female participation in American politics, as well as for religious organizations who wish to increase its parishioners’ turnout in the voting booth.

What drew you to the department?

“I graduated with my MA in Religious Studies from GSU and had the opportunity to work with some of the professors in POLS during crossover courses. The breadth of courses, knowledge of the faculty, and opportunities for research outweighed any other university to which I applied.”

What is your favorite GSU memory?

“From the perspective of a doctoral student, the flexibility offered to non-traditional graduate students is without comparison. But from a collegial perspective, my cohort is definitely top-notch and without them, I wouldn’t have pushed myself nearly as far as I have.”

Education

• Master of Arts in Religious Studies, Georgia State University, 2017
    M.A. Non-thesis: “I Am Fearfully and Wonderfully Made”: A History of Transgender Identity and What It Means for Progressive Christianity
    Committee Chair: Dr. Louis Ruprecht; Dr. Monique Moultrie, Dr. Brett Esaki
  • Master of Science in Education (Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing), UT, 2001
  • Bachelor of Science, Education (Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing), University of TN, 2000

Publications

• “Employment Programs Are Helping Syrian Women Take Back Control Over Their Lives.” Muftah.org. July 03, 2015. (Link).
  • “The Effect of Educational Placement on the Social Experiences of a Deaf High School Student in an Inclusion Program.” EFFECT OF EDUCATIONAL PLACEMENT. May 2001. (Link).

Teaching Experience

• RELS 2001: Intro to World Religion Fall 2016, Spring 2017.

Return to Political Science Graduate Students