Lane Stone

Lane Stone

Posted On November 17, 2015
Categories Alumni Success

“I’m an author, so my days are spent writing or researching. Even though I mostly write mysteries, you still have to do the research if you want your readers to take the journey with you.”

What are your typical day-to-day activities in your career?

I’m an author, so my days are spent writing or researching. Even though I mostly write mysteries, you still have to do the research if you want your readers to take the journey with you.

What process did you go through to enter (or rise) to your position? Which skills and experiences distinguished you from other candidates?

It’s HARD to get traditionally published. Very. Hard. I never gave up. You get a lot of rejections, and it’s natural to get defensive. Finally, you realize that if a publisher takes the time to give you even one tiny suggestion, it’s a gift. Most just either never read your submission or don’t bother to respond.
Also, I write almost every day. Saturdays, Sundays, every day.

“When I was a student, I wish I had known….”

To participate in activities to make friends. I had to work most of the time I was in college so there wasn’t much time for anything else. What little down time I had, I spent with high school friends. I’m jealous of people who have friends from college.