Harry Baughman

Posted On November 17, 2015
Categories Alumni Success

“I work in the environmental consulting field for a major US engineering company, where I manage a business unit.”

What are your typical day-to-day activities in your career?

I work in the environmental consulting field for a major US engineering company, where I manage a business unit. I manage a multi-disciplined group that includes engineers, scientists, management consultants, and support staff in the area of water resources, supply and treatment. My positon involves marketing new projects and services, financial management and client relations. I often meet with elected officials and senior public works managers. Regularly, I review project performance, develop strategies for new markets/services and provide employee leadership and mentoring.

What process did you go through to enter (or rise) to your position? Which skills and experiences distinguished you from other candidates?

I worked nights at a water treatment facility at a metro Atlanta County while I attended Georgia State during the days and/or evenings. I had the opportunity to be involved in a major capital expansion project while working at the County and it gave me great exposure to technical, management and regulatory areas. I left the Public Sector and went into consulting to have broader exposure to larger and more varied projects. My background and education is a bit different than most in the engineering field. I believe my mix of hands-on experience, coupled with the skills I acquired through my Political Science education at GSU helped immensely in my career. Negotiation skills, understanding the political process, working to create consensus and being open to conflicting viewpoints are often as important as the technical aspects of many projects.

“When I was a student, I wish I had known….”

I should have taken a few more financial and accounting classes to complement my political science classes.