Drew Dabney

Drew Dabney

Posted On November 17, 2015
Categories Alumni Success

“After finishing my BA in political science at GSU, I spent one year teaching overseas at an international school.”

What are your typical day-to-day activities in your career?

I am a high school social studies teacher. I teach 9th and 10th graders world history and geography. My duties include managing large classes of students and delivering instruction geared towards producing high learning outcomes.

What process did you go through to enter (or rise) to your position? Which skills and experiences distinguished you from other candidates?

After finishing my BA in political science at GSU, I spent one year teaching overseas at an international school. I then earned a Master’s in Education from UVA and began teaching in Virginia.

“When I was a student, I wish I had known….”

It is easier to be successful academically if you are consistent and disciplined from the beginning of your college career. I waited until later to apply myself in my studies and it was a lot harder to bring up my GPA.
I would also suggest doing internships to gain exposure to careers that may interest you. I did one tutoring at the Clarkston Community Center in metro Atlanta and it helped me to decide I was interested in teaching and doing something human service related.