Austin Roebuck

Austin Roebuck

Posted On November 17, 2015
Categories Alumni Success

“As the Marine Government Relations Coordinator for Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, I am primarily responsible for the activation of grassroots advocacy efforts within the marine industry.”

What are your typical day-to-day activities in your career?

As the Marine Government Relations Coordinator for Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, I am primarily responsible for the activation of grassroots advocacy efforts within the marine industry. In this way, my work includes educating Members of Congress on key issues affecting our industry, working with Yamaha’s boat builder and dealer network to bring these issues to the top of the policy agenda, and contributing to a large coalition of stakeholders striving for the same policy goals. In addition to my GR responsibilities, working for Yamaha has given me the opportunity to develop strong public relations skills by writing press releases, organizing events, and supporting marketing division initiatives.

What process did you go through to enter (or rise) to your position? Which skills and experiences distinguished you from other candidates?

I believe that prior political experience was the main factor that set me apart when I began the interview process with Yamaha. Before coming to Yamaha I gained political experience by working as a Congressional Intern in the US House of Representatives, and then as a Senate Aide to Georgia’s Senate Majority Leader. Additionally, I worked on several campaigns and became involved in my state party to hone my political skills.
I would tell today’s college students and new grads that it is imperative to develop practical skills within your desired field. When a prospective hire has a strong skill set, and the confidence to use his or her skills effectively, it will shine through to the hiring party.

“When I was a student, I wish I had known….”

As a young professional, I would tell my college-aged self that in the “real world” you will be required to be a chameleon, constantly adapting to the tasks at hand with the necessary skills for the situation. By developing a wide portfolio of skills, young professionals can rise to the occasions before them and expand their responsibilities within the workplace.
As a soon-to-be married man, I would tell my college-aged self to always remember that a career is not everything. While success at work is a very good thing, developing faith, integrity, courage, joy and love is of much greater value than anything you will find in the workplace alone.