Ron Aribo

Ron Aribo

Posted On November 16, 2015
Categories Alumni Success

“Networking is the easiest way to land opportunities. Join organizations on campus and keep in touch with professors and other important people on campus, they’ll think of you when an offer comes their way to refer a student to a job or internship.”

What are your typical day-to-day activities in your career?

My work as Analyst at the Government Accountability Office consists of interviewing for information, developing researchable questions, working collaboratively on an audit team, evaluating programs, writing reports, and developing recommendations to improve the efficiency and/or effectiveness of programs.

What process did you go through to enter (or rise) to your position? Which skills and experiences distinguished you from other candidates?

In October of 2012, I finished Officer Candidate School for the United States Army Reserves. In the military, I learned that the most important attribute in being a good leader is decision making and service to others. Shortly after finishing, I started working at the Department of Veterans Affairs as a purchasing agent. While working, I continued my education and earned a Master’s Degree in Public Administration. In the summer, I interned with the Government Accountability Office on the Natural Resource and Environment team.

“When I was a student, I wish I had known….”

Networking is the easiest way to land opportunities. Join organizations on campus and keep in touch with professors and other important people on campus, they’ll think of you when an offer comes their way to refer a student to a job or internship. Don’t forget to be yourself because no one can do it better! Benjamin Elijah Mays said “Whatever you do, strive to do it so well that no man living and no man dead and no man yet to be born could do it any better.”