courtroom

Brittany Spornhauer Bennett

Posted On November 16, 2015
Categories Alumni Success

“I am currently in my second year of Law School at Mercer University in Macon, Georgia on track to graduate and take the Bar Examination in May of 2016.”

What are your typical day-to-day activities in your career?

I am currently in my second year of Law School at Mercer University in Macon, Georgia on track to graduate and take the Bar Examination in May of 2016. I am simultaneously interning as a Law Clerk at the Houston County District Attorney’s Office. I also draft Appellate Briefs and Response Briefs for Workers’ Compensation cases. When I am not researching, writing, reading cases, or studying, I am observing trials, plea hearings, and assisting with any criminal procedure tasks such as entering conviction information into the system, assigned by the District Attorney or Assistant District Attorneys.

What process did you go through to enter (or rise) to your position? Which skills and experiences distinguished you from other candidates?

While attending Georgia State University I minored in Political Science, which is a preferred field of study for law school applicants. I also studied and took the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) during my final semester at Georgia State University. Upon receiving my Bachelor’s Degree and completing the LSAT, I submitted my application to Mercer University and was accepted in 2013. While taking required courses I have been elected President of student run organization Mercer Law Republicans, interned with a private attorney and currently write Appellate Briefs for a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer. My academic achievements, as well as my ability to balance internships, course work, and lead an organization has distinguished me from other candidates and allowed me to move forward in pursuing a legal career.

“When I was a student, I wish I had known….”

As an undergraduate student, I wish I had known how invaluable the student organizations on campus were. I had the opportunity to join Moot Court and Mock Trial at Georgia State University and chose not to because I was working at a Bankruptcy Law Firm and did not have the time to commit to the teams. However, I wish I would have made time because the skills I would have obtained would have further prepared me to compete within law school competitions. Had I know the importance of trial advocacy skills to be gained through these programs, I would have taken advantage of the opportunity to participate.