Welcome to the Department of Political Science at Georgia State University. Our faculty and students examine the most pressing and enduring puzzles of politics and policy at the local, national, and global levels. With research expertise and a passion for teaching in all of the major fields in the discipline – American Government, Comparative Politics, International Relations, Political Theory, Public Law and Research Methods – the Department offers innovative and comprehensive programs leading to the BA, MA, and PhD degrees. Our PhD program is ranked #83 nationally among political science graduate programs by U.S. News and World Report.
- Dr. Wedeman selected as a Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars fellow Professor Andrew Wedeman was selected to be one of approximately twenty Wilson Center scholars from around the world during AY16-17. The Wilson Center was chartered by Congress in 1968 and is the nation’s key non-partisan policy forum for tackling global issues through independent research. The center also seeks to build a bridge between the… more »News
- Dr. Charles Hankla discusses threat to Tran Pacific Partnership (TPP)At 5:00 am on October 5, after several all-night sessions ensconced in the Peachtree Plaza Hotel in Atlanta, trade negotiators from the United States, Canada, Australia, Japan and eight other Pacific Rim economies announced the completion of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). This agreement, in the works since at least 2009, creates a free trade zone… more »News
- Dr. McCoy and Dr. Subotic discuss the peace deal in Colombia as a potential new modelOn September 23 2015, the Colombian government made a major breakthrough in its negotiations with the Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia (FARC) to end 50 years of conflict. After three years of talks, Colombian president Juan Manuel Santos and FARC leader Rodrigo “Timochenko” Londoño agreed on a plan for comprehensive transitional justice in Colombia. The… more »News
- Dr. Henry “Chip” Carey talks drones with Atlanta TechEdgeDrone Technology WEB EXTRA Chris Brann, Professor Henry (Chip) Carey and Phil Freybott make their predictions on the future of drone technology. Video hereNews
- Dr. Andrew Wedeman’s interview with the Wall Street Journal on corruption in Chinese military Ex-Military Leader in China Is Subject of Graft Inquiry Former Gen. Guo Boxiong was placed under investigation, becoming the most senior military official brought down in President Xi Jinping’s campaign against corruption. Full story here Professor Andrew WedemanNews
- Dr. Lakeyta Bonnette talks about confederate flag and popular culture on GPB 88.5 On Second Thought for Tuesday, June 30, 2015: Headlee discusses the Confederate flag’s place in pop culture with Southern pop culture blogger and University of North Carolina history professor Karen Cox and Lakeyta Bonnette, a Georgia State University political science/Black political attitudes professor. Finally, for over a year, two filmmakers have been documenting people… more »News
- Yasmina Pierre Receives Fulbright Award Yasmina Pierre a political science graduate of Georgia State University’s College of Arts and Sciences (BA ’14) has been offered a Fulbright U.S. Student Program grant to South Korea in Korean Studies, the United States Department of State and the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board announced recently. Pierre will travel to South Korea… more »News
- Dr. Charles Hankla talks trade promotion authority (TPA)“Four lessons for US and world as president finally gets what he wants: a free hand on trade” After a long, bruising fight, the US Senate finally passed a bill to give the president the trade promotion authority (TPA, aka fast track) that he has been seeking for months. The House already approved the measure… more »News
Upcoming Events See Full Calendar »
There are no upcoming events.